- Provides protection against intense fires including hydrocarbon pool fires
- Endothermic design releases cooling chemical-bound water when exposed to extreme heat
- Versatile – rated for structural steel, electrical circuits, wall opening membranes
- Flexible – easy to cut and configure for installation on complex shapes and around corners
- Non-corrosive and requires no maintenance when properly installed
Our 3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat E-5A-4 is an easy-to-install heat-absorbing wrap system that provides excellent fire resistance for structural steel components, critical electrical components and wall opening membranes. When exposed to intense heat, the mat releases chemically-bound water to cool its outer surfaces. Installers can easily cut the material to fit even complex installations.
A Cool System for Fire Protection
Tested for a full range of critical applications, our 3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat E-5A-4 blocks heat by chemically absorbing it — when exposed to extreme heat, it releases chemically bound water that cools the outer surface of the mat. This helps reduce the rate of temperature rise and slows heat transfer even during intense fires. This mat provides up to 4-hour fire protection for structural steel applications in accordance with ASTM E 119, up to 3 hour fire protection for electrical circuit applications in accordance with ASTM E 1725 and, when applied to the back and sides of metallic utility boxes, our endothermic mat helps achieve an equal F-rating and T-Rating in membrane penetrations of rated wall assemblies. It also protects against large hydrocarbon pool fires in accordance with ASTM E 1529 (UL 1709).
- Structural steel
- Electrical circuity/raceways
- Cables, cable trays and conduits
- Equipment shrouds
- Membrane penetrations (e.g. spaces containing electrical panels, elevator call boxes, safe deposit boxes, medical gas boxes)
- Critical systems for safe shutdown or occupant evacuation
- New or retrofit construction
- Applied over existing fire protection
Saves Before, During and After Installation
3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat E-5A arrives in a convenient roll that makes for simple storage and ease of use on the job site. Flexible and easy to cut and configure, this material makes installation faster and easier even on complex shapes and around corners — ideal for new and retrofit applications in the field. There is no need for water, mixing or the time and effort needed to measure for specific thicknesses. The mat is available with stainless steel or aluminum backing and is non-corrosive, easy to clean and requires no maintenance when properly installed. It is also re-enterable and easy to inspect — simply unwrap the mat, inspect the component and re-wrap.
The Science of Better Fire Protection from 3M
Since 1925 when one of our lab assistants invented masking tape, 3M has been applying science to life — developing adhesive products and technologies that help entire industries and individual businesses worldwide. The work that began with a single 3M engineer now spans decades and generations. And all of it goes into each of our adhesives, sealants, protective coatings, devices and fire resistance products including 3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat E-5A to help businesses like yours operate faster, better and more efficiently